It's a Whiteout! Axalta's "Global Automotive 2015 Color Popularity Report" Shows White to be Worldwide Number One
Axalta Coating Systems, a leading global supplier of liquid and powder coatings, has released its Global Automotive 2015 Color Popularity Report which shows that white continues to increase in popularity and holds onto the top position worldwide. Since overtaking silver in 2011, white has continued to gain in popularity on all vehicle types.
“Since 1953, Axalta’s color popularity data has been an important tool in partnering with vehicle manufacturers to forecast the designs and color preference that will engage customers in the years to come,” said Nancy Lockhart, Axalta Color Marketing Manager. “For the fifth consecutive year, white is the world’s most popular color. However, we did see some pockets of color when we looked across regions. For instance, red jumped eight percentage points over 2014 in South America, mid-shade blues are significant in Europe, and bright blues gained popularity in North America.”
Axalta’s report is the automotive industry’s most comprehensive annual report for 63 years running. A few highlights from the latest edition include:
- Silver leveled out after declining for four years and remains at 13 percent.
- Blue remained steady over 2014, while other rich colors declined.
- At 11 percent, no region likes red more. Axalta’s 2015 North America Automotive Color of the Year, Radiant Red, reflects this preference.
- Blue increased in popularity to a total of eight percent of sales.
- White is the region’s most popular color; no color in any region is more popular.
- Silver is the second-most popular.
- The continent shows the highest amount of blue at nine percent with much interest in sporty mid-shade blues.
- Holding 21 percent of the market, no region likes black more. Of interest are the luxurious sparkling black shades for intermediate and large cars.
- The region experienced a 10 percent year-over-year drop for gray.
- In China alone, white gained in popularity by 19 percentage points.
According to Lockhart, automotive color popularity provides a valuable look back at how consumer color preferences changed over time. “Axalta’s color trend forecasting team researches the expected color preferences of tomorrow,” said Lockhart. “The next generation of global automotive colors will offer a variety of colors with highly chromatic colors in bright reds, rich blues and vibrant violets. Niche colors are forecasted on small cars in unique shades of pale blue, green and gold. Warm hues are gaining popularity in earthy tones of green, bronze, red, and beige. Finally, cool shades are holding interest in white, gray and black.”
About Axalta Coating Systems
Axalta is a leading global company focused solely on coatings and providing customers with innovative, colorful, beautiful and sustainable solutions. From light OEM vehicles, commercial vehicles and refinish applications to electric motors, buildings and pipelines, our coatings are designed to prevent corrosion, increase productivity and enable the materials we coat to last longer. With nearly 150 years of experience in the coatings industry, the more than 12,800 people of Axalta continue to find ways to serve our more than 120,000 customers in more than 130 countries better every day with the finest coatings, application systems and technology. For more information visit axaltacoatingsystems.com and follow us @axalta on Twitter and on LinkedIn.